Portegrandi | Navigation Basin

Quarto d'Altino VE

Ottieni indicazioni

It was built in 1680 to drain the water from the Sile to the new cut; the "Conca" or "pot" allows boats to be able to go into the lagoon through the natural course of the river overcoming the gap. Until about 1960, the Portegrandi basin was a lively exchange point between the boatmen, since at that point stood a tavern, a place of agregazione and refreshment. Now it is one of the localities 'most' suggestive of the territory for history, beauty and tourist importance far a few kilometers from Venice. On the wall of the building is still present, the tariff engraved on Istria stone, which reports the "duty" or "heavy taxes" for the passage of vessels.